Free Wireless Hotspots
Minneapolis residents can access the internet for free from 117 “Wireless Minneapolis” hotspots throughout the city.
You can also look for signs which are installed at hot spot locations, or look for the wireless network connection called “USIW Free WiFi” with your computer or wireless internet capable-device. A credit card number is required to log in for security purposes but there is no charge.
USI opened their WiFi network in Minneapolis for those that may need temporary internet access.
- Look for the “City of Minneapolis Public WiFi” or “USI Wireless” networks on your mobile device and you will be connected. The process is similar to using Wi-Fi at a coffee shop or the airport.
- No password or credit card is required to sign in.
- No social security number or personal information required.
- Contact USI Internet support for more information or to get help over the phone.
Comcast opened their Xfinity WiFi network and is offering unlimited data for free during coronavirus stay at home.
- For a map of Xfinity WiFi hotspots, visit www.xfinity.com/wifi. Once at a hotspot, select the “xfinitywifi” network name open your internet browser.
Internet Essentials & Eligibility
- New Internet Essentials customers will receive two free months of Internet service if you apply by June 30, 2020. After the promotion period regular rates apply (currently at $9.95 per month).
- View information about Internet Essentials. Online resources and tech support are available in multiple languages.
- Households with outstanding debt owed to Comcast – may be eligible for Internet Essentials. Comcast is waiving this qualification based on specific application date. Use the link below for the most current information.
- Households qualify who are eligible for public assistance programs – if you are not an existing Xfinity internet customer, and have not subscribed to Comcast internet within the last 90 day may qualify for special pricing.
- Learn more at the Comcast Internet Essentials website or call 1-855-846-8376.
Standard Internet Packages
- Learn more about the additional Comcast/Xfinity services in Minneapolis at the Comcast/Xfinity website.
Refer to Comcast’s COVID-19 resources for additional details and how to get help.
Lifeline Support for Affordable Communications
- See if you are eligible at Lifeline Support Program website or call 1-888-225-5322. Lifeline typically provides up to a $9.25 monthly discount on service for eligible low-income subscribers.
PCs for People
Learn more at PCs for People website or call 651-354-2552. PCs for People offers high speed 4G LTE internet service starting at $15.00 per month (mobile hot spot)
- Spectrum offers Spectrum Internet Assist- high-speed broadband program to eligible low-income households.